More definitions of "ill":
- (adj): Resulting in suffering or adversity.
Example: "Ill effects"; "it's an ill wind that blows no good"
- (adv): Unfavorably or with disapproval.
Example: "Tried not to speak ill of the dead"
- (adj): Distressing.
Example: "Ill manners"; "of ill repute"
- (noun): An often persistent bodily disorder or disease; a cause for complaining.
Synonyms: ailment, complaint
- (adj): Not in good physical or mental health.
Example: "Ill from the monotony of his suffering"
- (adv): With difficulty or inconvenience; scarcely or hardly.
Example: "We can ill afford to buy a new car just now"
- (adj): Indicating hostility or enmity.
Example: "You certainly did me an ill turn"; "ill feelings"; "ill will"
Famous quotes containing the word ill:
“To think ill of mankind and not wish ill to them, is perhaps the highest wisdom and virtue.”
—William Hazlitt (17781830)
“How ill this taper burns! Ha! Who comes here?
I think it is the weakness of mine eyes
That shapes this monstrous apparition.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“Groundless superstition ill befits an army; valor is the only deity that rules in the warriors breast.”
—Silius Italicus (26101)