Verney Junction

Verney Junction is a hamlet in the parish of Middle Claydon in north Buckinghamshire, England. It is on a disused railway line near Claydon House.

The stone cottages that make up the hamlet were largely constructed to provide houses for workers on the railway in the early Victorian era. The hamlet is named after the Verney family of Claydon House. The new village included a cricket ground for the railway workers.

Until 1936 Verney Junction railway station was the northern outpost of the Metropolitan Railway from Baker Street. It was the junction of that line with the Buckinghamshire Railway between Bletchley and Banbury (opened 1850) with a later line added from Verney Junction to Oxford (opened 1851). It was this later route that formed part of the "Varsity Line" from Oxford to Cambridge, and legend has it that the station was so called because the then isolation of the area meant that the only obvious name was that of the local landowner.

Coordinates: 51°56′24″N 0°55′45″W / 51.9400°N 0.9292°W / 51.9400; -0.9292

Aylesbury Vale District
  • Buckinghamshire
  • County Council elections
  • District Council elections
  • Aylesbury Constituency
  • Buckingham Constituency
Towns
(Component
Areas and Hamlets)
  • Aylesbury
    • Bedgrove
    • Broughton
    • California
    • Elm Farm
    • Elmhurst
    • Haydon Hill
    • New Zealand
    • Prebendal Farm
    • Quarrendon
    • Queens Park
    • Southcourt
    • Turnfurlong
    • Walton
    • Walton Court
  • Buckingham
    • Bourton
    • Buffler's Holt
    • Castle Fields
    • Mount Pleasant
    • Page Hill
  • Wendover
    • Cobblers Hill
    • Concord
    • Dean
    • Hazeldean
    • Kings Ash
    • Little London
    • Lower Bacombe
    • Scrubwood
    • Smalldean
    • The Hale
    • Upper Bacombe
    • Wendover Dean
    • Wendover Marsh
    • World's End
  • Winslow
    • Shipton
    • Shipton Brook
Other Civil Parishes
(Component Villages
and Hamlets)
  • Addington
  • Adstock
  • Akeley
    • Akeley
    • Stockholt
  • Ashendon
    • Ashendon
    • Lower Pollicott
    • Upper Pollicott
  • Aston Clinton
    • Aston Clinton
    • Chivery
    • Vaches
  • Aston Abbotts
  • Aston Sandford
  • Barton Hartshorn
  • Beachampton
  • Biddlesden
  • Bierton with Broughton
    • Bierton
    • Broughton
    • Broughton Crossing
    • Burcott
  • Boarstall
    • Boarstall
    • Honeyburge
  • Brill
    • Brill
    • Little London
  • Buckingham Park
    • Berryfields
    • Weedon Hill
  • Buckland
    • Buckland
    • Buckland Wharf
  • Calvert Green
    • Calvert
  • Charndon
  • Chearsley
  • Cheddington
    • Cheddington
    • Cooks Wharf
  • Chetwode
  • Chilton
    • Chilton
    • Easington
  • Coldharbour
    • Fairford Leys
  • Creslow
  • Cublington
  • Cuddington
  • Dinton-with-Ford and Upton
    • Aston Mullins
    • Dinton
    • Ford
    • Gibraltar
    • Upton
    • Waldridge
    • Westlington
  • Dorton
  • Drayton Beauchamp
  • Drayton Parslow
  • Dunton
  • East Claydon
  • Edgcott
  • Edlesborough Northall and Dagnall
    • Dagnall
    • Edlesborough
    • Northall
    • Ringshall
  • Fleet Marston
  • Foscott
  • Gawcott with Lenborough
    • Gawcott
    • Lenborough
  • Granborough
    • Granborough
    • Green End
  • Great Brickhill
  • Great Horwood
    • Great Horwood
    • Singleborough
  • Grendon Underwood
  • Haddenham
    • Haddenham
    • South End
  • Halton
  • Hardwick
  • Hillesden
  • Hoggeston
  • Hogshaw
    • Fulbrook
    • Hogshaw
  • Hulcott
  • Ickford
  • Ivinghoe
    • Greatgap
    • Horton
    • Ivinghoe
    • Ivinghoe Aston
    • Ringshall
  • Kingsey
  • Kingswood
    • Kingswood
    • Tetchwick
  • Leckhampstead
  • Lillingstone Dayrell with Luffield Abbey
    • Lillingstone Dayrell
    • Luffield Abbey
  • Lillingstone Lovell
  • Little Horwood
  • Long Crendon
  • Ludgershall
  • Maids Moreton
  • Marsh Gibbon
    • Marsh Gibbon
    • Little Marsh
    • Summerstown
  • Marsworth
    • Marsworth
    • Startop's End
  • Mentmore
    • Crafton
    • Ledburn
    • Mentmore
  • Middle Claydon
  • Mursley
  • Nash
  • Nether Winchendon
  • Newton Longville
  • North Marston
  • Oakley
    • Addingrove
    • Little London
    • Oakley
  • Oving
  • Padbury
  • Pitchcott
  • Pitstone
    • Barley End
    • Pitstone
    • Pitstone Green
    • Pitstone Hill
  • Poundon
  • Preston Bissett
  • Quainton
    • Quainton
    • Shipton Lee
  • Quarrendon
    • Berryfields
  • Radclive-cum-Chackmore
    • Radclive
    • Chackmore
  • Shabbington
  • Shalstone
  • Slapton
    • Grove
    • Horton Wharf
    • Slapton
  • Soulbury
    • Bragenham
    • Chelmscote
    • Hollingdon
    • Soulbury
    • Stockgrove
  • Steeple Claydon
  • Stewkley
    • North End
    • Stewkley
    • Stewkley Dean
  • Stoke Hammond
  • Stoke Mandeville
  • Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell
    • Bishopstone
    • Hartwell
    • Lower Hartwell
    • Sedrup
    • Stone
  • Stowe
    • Boycott
    • Dadford
    • Lamport
    • Stowe
  • Swanbourne
    • Nearton End
    • Swanbourne
  • Thornborough
  • Thornton
  • Tingewick
  • Turweston
  • Twyford
  • Upper Winchendon
  • Waddesdon
    • Eythrope
    • Waddesdon
    • Wormstone
  • Water Stratford
  • Watermead
  • Weedon
    • East End
    • Weedon
    • Weedon Hill
  • Westbury
  • Westcott
  • Weston Turville
    • Bye Green
    • Weston Turville
  • Whaddon
  • Whitchurch
  • Wing
    • Ascott
    • Burcott
    • Littleworth
    • Wing
  • Wingrave
    • Burston
    • Nup End
    • Rowsham
    • Wingrave
  • Woodham
  • Worminghall
  • Wotton Underwood
Former Districts
and Boroughs
  • Municipal Borough of Aylesbury
  • Municipal Borough of Buckingham
  • Buckingham Rural District
  • Long Crendon Rural District
  • Wing Rural District
Former
Constituencies
  • Buckinghamshire County Constituency
  • Wendover Constituency
  • List of Parliamentary constituencies in Buckinghamshire
  • List of places in Buckinghamshire
  • List of civil parishes in Buckinghamshire


Other articles related to "junction, verney junction":

Transport In Buckinghamshire - Rail - Origins
... In 1833, Robert Stephenson in 1833, planned to meet Joseph Locke's Grand Junction Railway at Birmingham, thus creating a north-south route ... That company merged with the Buckingham and Brackley Junction Railway in 1847 to form the Buckinghamshire Railway, which opened a branch line in 1850 to Banbury ... A junction was formed in 1851 at Verney Junction for another line from there to Oxford ...
Aylesbury And Buckingham Railway - History
1860, and the line opened on 23 September 1868 connecting connected Aylesbury and Verney Junction and serving intermediate stations at Waddesdon Manor (renamed ... line northwards to Morton Pinkney, to make a junction with the East and West Junction Railway. 1906 the Metropolitan Railway section from Harrow-on-the-Hill station to Verney Junction was leased to a Joint Committee of the Metropolitan Railway and Great Central Main Line it was worked on a five-yearly basis ...
Railways In Buckinghamshire - History - Metroland
... the Metropolitan had absorbed the Aylesbury Buckingham Railway which had run from Aylesbury to Verney Junction ... On 1 January 1894, the Metropolitan Railway was extended over the A BR to Verney Junction meeting the LNWR owned Buckinghamshire Railway which had ... called the 'Met') thus ran express services from central London to Verney Junction, in the middle of rural Buckinghamshire—a testament to this being that the terminus was so rural that the ...

Famous quotes containing the word junction:

    In order to get to East Russet you take the Vermont Central as far as Twitchell’s Falls and change there for Torpid River Junction, where a spur line takes you right into Gormley. At Gormley you are met by a buckboard which takes you back to Torpid River Junction again.
    Robert Benchley (1889–1945)